Monday, August 19, 2013

Oscar Peterson tribute

It was early in my listening days that I discovered the incredible music of the legendary Canadian pianist, Oscar Peterson.  I would listen to him for hours, trying to decipher his unique style and those wonderful unending and effortless waves of notes and rhythms.  Yes, his technique was immense, but even more astounding was his amazing sense of Swing that filled every phrase.  His musicality has been a wonderful inspiration for me.  I don't claim his depth of talent or technique, but I do love his music and I know my playing has been greatly shaped by listening to him.  I can recommend a great website that is a tribute to Oscar Peterson.  It's Toronto's wonderful JAZZ.FM91, and the tribute station can be found at: www.jazz.fm/index.php/listen-mainmenu/web-radio.

I play tomorrow night at Ivories here in Portland.  Joining me will be our Portland bass phenom Dylan Sundstrom and our own legendary Northwest Jazz drummer Carlton Jackson.  It should be a beautiful evening of fine music, inspired by many greats including Oscar Peterson.  You can get more information about this exciting venue at their site: www.ivoriesjazz.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment