Thursday, August 27, 2015

Summer Thoughts - continued

While I'm reminiscing over my musical journey, I want to take time to thank another inspiration figure in my college experience, Mike Hanes, the long-time musical director of the SIU's Summer Music Theater program, member of the School of Music faculty, and fearless leader of the infamous Marching Salukis.    Now retired, Mike was truly an energetic educator in all the years that I knew him.  For many years, he directed many of the musical productions for SIU.  There were many Jr. and Sr. high school summers days which found me in the back of McLoed Theater observing rehearsals and performances, soaking in the magic that is music for the theater. In those days, the McLoed Summer Playhouse program would produce up to four Broadway musicals in two months! Every weekend there would be a musical or Broadway play. It was great for me.  I already loved the Broadway repertoire, and now I was able to watch each show come together, piece by piece: music, actors, sets, lights, everything.  I also was able to watch performances and see the reaction of the audience to each of the elements of the shows.  What a great opportunity for me.  As a high school junior, I was hired to play piano for SIU's production of Oh, What a Lovely War in that same McLoed Theater.  I already felt quite at home as part of the production in that space.  Many more shows would see me in the orchestra pit or on stage as part of the action.

As an undergrad student, my first year days were spread all over SIU's beautiful campus.  I was a science and math major my first two years (in fact my Bachelors degree is in cellular biology).  I would crisscross campus with my chemistry, physics, biology, and calculus books.  At the same time, I was also selected to play piano for the SIU Women's Gymnastic Team by coached Herb Vogel.  Their practices took place in the SIU Arena.  I could often hear the Marching Salukis practicing outside the Arena readying music and marching routines for the upcoming football games. Somehow, I was encouraged to join the band as their marching grand piano player (picture a small, hollowed-out grand piano with an electric keyboard inside and mounted on wheels).  I'm not sure if this was the first year of the marching band grand, but it could have been.  It was a blast. The Marching Salukis were a lively and sometimes mildly wild group of fun-loving musicians.  Their musical director and musical performance guru: Mike Hanes.

By my very good fortune, Mike Hanes was assigned as chairman of my Masters committee in the School of Music.  He mentored my graduate level studies as I studied music for the theater and Gershwin's use of the Jazz idiom in Porgy and Bess.  It was Mike who encouraged me to take up the directing baton and strengthen my skills as a conductor and, consequently, as a composer and arranger.  One of my master's projects was to musical direct SIU's production of Frank Loesser's Hans Christian Anderson. The many skills that Mike helped me develop in my musical repertoire all came together. I didn't know then that in just a year's time I would be using all of those many directing and performance skills in Los Angeles.  I remain very thankful to have had the chance to work with the very talented and inspiring Mike Hanes as part of my career preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment