Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A Few Thoughts for the End of Summer

Summer break is ending, but, happily, the music continues.  I play at the Portland City Grill tonight and Friday.  It is always a pleasure.

It is amazing that this week marks the 31st anniversary of my leaving Illinois for Los Angeles.  I had just finished my Masters degree in music for the theater, and I thought perhaps I would be heading to New York and Broadway.  That was not to be.  I really didn't know anyone in NYC, but I was so fortunate to have two friends who encouraged me to redirect my trip to L.A.  Both had made the same choice in their musical careers: Darryl Phinnessee, an incredible vocalist and composer, a long-time touring vocalist with Michael Jackson, and an SIU classmate of mine; and Alan Oldfield, a truly inspiring pianist, composer, session musician, and (fortunately for me) a former SIU educator extraordinaire who helped me find my bearings in a new environment, music.  Both Darryl and Alan were very positive and successful in their work, and they also were very kind and generous with their time and advice for me.  I am still very thankful to them for their encouragement and inspiration.

Now I find myself in Portland, which is a beautiful city and also a great music performance town.  I continue to be inspired by the talent around me.  It helps be continue to strive to improve as a pianist, composer, and musical director.  Carbondale to Los Angeles to Portland; so far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment